As laser welding tools proliferate from industry to industry, the need for analytical services, including laser welding analysis, scales proportionately. Due to ever-shrinking laser weld footprints, we cannot directly apply many characterization techniques developed for prior welding methods.
JH Analytical Services
Here at JH Analytical, our goal is to work with you to quickly understand your needs. Once we understand your unique requirements, we develop an efficient, thorough, and cost-effective approach to collecting the data you need. We support every step of the process, from establishing a baseline and quantifying the effects of parameter changes, to root cause field failure analysis.
You maintain full control over the extent of our involvement in your laser welding analysis projects. Regardless of the size or duration of your project, you benefit from our technical insight and consultation.
Types of Analyses
JH Analytical utilizes the most advanced metrology and characterization techniques to provide the following:
- Laser weld and heat-affected zone (HAZ) geometry including depth, width, profile, and uniformity
- Homogeneity/intermixing of dissimilar materials
- Surface profile/topography
- Defect localization and failure analysis
- Grain and microstructure analysis
Common techniques we use during these analyses include:
- Mechanical cross-section
- Optical microscopy
- SEM (scanning electron microscopy)
- EDS/EDX (energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy)
- Chemical etching
- Confocal microscopy
- Broad ion beam milling
- EBSD (electron backscatter diffraction)